2026 August Media Post

Jim Carrey is king.
 

The Suicide Squad


I'm kinda surprised this is the 3rd highest rated DCEU film on IMDB (as of writing this). Yeah I enjoyed it, I think it's a funny movie, but it felt very trashy like from what I remember of the first Suicide Squad. My only particular issue with the movie though was its length, 2 hours was too much for me personally.


Despicable Me

 
For just how immediately the Minions would become a massive pop-culture sensation, this movie feels very humble. Yeah it had a budget of $69-million which I wouldn't consider nothing, but the actual contents of the film don't feel like they're trying to convince you it's the best thing ever. Despicable Me is just simply a good movie, I think it accomplishes what it sets out to do pretty well. I was not amazed, the animation while not bad looks dated, but I had a pleasant time watching this. This isn't my first time watching this movie, I grew up with a handful of Illumination films, but I'm not really interested in going back to all of them.
 
 

The Truman Show

 
I feel like I've seen a dozen different spins on The Truman Show's concept, but I think this holds up as the premiere(?) version of its own story. What I find most interesting is that for the most part, Truman is incredibly "safe". The goal of the show isn't to torment Truman, the idea that the show could do whatever it wants with him isn't the central threat, the mere invasion of Truman's privacy and free will is important in of itself.
 
A lesser movie would've put the lore dump at the very start, but I was still annoyed that the lore dump was right behind the final act. I think some sort of pace breaker was valuable to put there, but I thought the recap on Truman's life was more boring than I would've liked.
 

BlasterBug: Last Bug Standing!

 
For a random free Bomberman style game, this game's pretty good. There are little design choices in the gameplay that indicate to me that at least some of the developers have a pretty good grasp of Bomberman. For example if you turn on Screen-Wrap, spawn positions are adjusted so that you can't just immediately punch bombs across the edges and over to your opponents.

Placeholder
 
Some Bomberman staples are omitted like the Power Glove item which I'm not sure I would prefer to be the case. There's some unique identity to the way punching is emphasized in this game, I wish punching was more useful on offense because as is it feels gimmicky to punch opponents.

The general graphics and theming are all great. I would guess this game aesthetically based on Tempo from the Sega32X which I think is cool.
 
Tempo
 
 

Comments